Tiramisu is a staple Italian dessert and Mike’s absolute favorite so when I decided to include a dessert in this month’s recipes, it was a no brainer! I did want to switch it up a little though so I’m sharing my Tiramisu Cupcakes recipe with you today! I’ve been working with this one for a MINUTE and I think I’ve got it down pat! It was a big hit with Mike, the boys and the rest of my family so that means it’s ready for a spot on the blog!
An important part of tiramisu is ladyfinger cookies and I didn’t want to remove those in order to make this recipe into cupcakes SO what I did was, I took a recipe for ladyfinger cookies and adjusted it into a cupcake recipe! So this recipe works out to be a ladyfinger cupcake, soaked with coffee and kahlua, topped with a marscapone frosting, some unsweetened cocoa powder and a chocolate covered coffee bean on top for good measure! Its a little bit of work but worth every dang second! They’re not too rich, none of the flavors overwhelm – they just compliment each other SO well! You will not be disappointed, I promise!
- hand or stand mixer
- cupcake pan
- 4 eggs separated
- 2 tbs white sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1 shot Kahlua optional
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream very cold
- 16 oz marscapone cheese room temp
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 chocolate covered coffee beans
- Heat oven to 400 and line cupcake pan
- In one bowl, beat egg whites on high until peaks form. Add 2tbs sugar and beat until glossy.
- In a larger bowl, beat yolks and 2/3 cup sugar until thick and pale yellow.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- Fold half of the egg whites into yolks until combined. Then fold in the flour mixture and rest of the egg whites.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 of the way and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown and let cool.
- Brew a cup of strong coffee or two shots of espresso. Let cool then mix in one shot of Kahlua.
- Poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes and pour the coffee mix into each cupcake. (not too much!)
- Whip heavy cream until thick and peaks are formed then put in the fridge.
- Mix the marscapone, vanilla and sugar until fully combined.
- Fold in 1/2 of the whipped cream until combined and then the other half.
- Frost the cupcakes. I like to use a frosting gun so it looks pretty.
- Sift the unsweetened cocoa powder on top of the frosting and add a coffee bean on top.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve. Mine kept for two days in the fridge.
If you try this, be sure to tag me @jillianrosado so I can see!
PS: Subscribe to the blog HERE so you never miss a post!